Sunday, October 23, 2011

Reflections on TGIFF

A big thank you to Erin for hosting in adversity and to all those who linked up.  :)
M-R and I were a bit disconcerted to see a few other Friday Finish linky parties going on, but thinking about it, there are a couple of things I need to remember.

1) This isn't about having ten thousand followers. TGIFF is for US to make US finish OUR quilts.We blog and quilt for enjoyment but have problems finishing. So it's not about getting a zillion people to link in. I could easily fall into the trap of promoting TGIFF so hard that I spend no time finishing quilts. Right now, I'm thinking "keep this short, you have two weeks until your next host and SOMETHING needs to be finished." The problem for me is choosing which WIP, which is why I need TGIFF!  So here's a sneak peek of what I'm aiming to finish
 

2) What makes TGIFF different from other linky parties, is that you (yes YOU!) can take a turn at hosting. That means you can give yourself a deadline and got a little pressure to keep to it (so easy to just start a new project instead of finishing an old one). I work better like that. :) I'd feel guilty if I let M-R down. So I will have a finish, I promise. (Fingers crossed!).  And I mean a Stage 3 finish (Stage 1 being top finished, 2 being quilted and 3 being bound, as someone commented on Erin's post). So TGIFF is for you too. :) To get a date, sign up on the hosting page. We have one week free left this year, so if you are way off having a finish but want to have one by the end of the year, that spot is still open. :)


That said, it would be nice to spread the love and find other interesting quilt-netty people, so we encourage anyone who links in with a TGIFF to add the button to their post and a link. Spread the love and spread the word!

Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!

Laura






3 comments:

  1. I fully agree! The point of blogging and links shouldn't be a popularity contest. I love seeing that I have more followers but I want people to read what I write, enjoy my blog and hopefully develop some good friendships. I want to share what I love with people that love it too!! I think there's nothing wrong with people linking up to more than one linky party - I've seen more and more people doing that and it's the best way to explore other people's work and ideas! Nice post Laura :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started linking last week to a linking group that had just started a few weeks before (I was really just looking for community I feel pretty isolated at home). Then the hostess took a break from her blog starting a couple days ago...I ran into this blog randomly actually. I like to click on something and keep clicking on something from there until something catches my eye! I am excited to see this community and I have added the button to my blog! I love the idea of different people hosting so it's not all on one person to keep it going. I am hoping that I can host as well, however I am 6 months pregnant so we will have to play that one by ear!

    ReplyDelete